Old 15-08-2018, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Well no wonder !

On 8/15/2018 1:52 AM, T wrote:
On 08/12/2018 03:50 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/12/2018 4:43 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/12/2018 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/12/2018 7:50 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Seems that in the last week or two something(s) have been
marauding my tomato patch . I thought I had it better protected ...
yesterday afternoon I set up my game cam in the corner where
they've been eating their ill-gotten gains , only to discover there
are 3 shifts ... late afternoon/early evening , the squirrels dine
, then after dark the raccoons come in , followed later by the
'possums . Looks like I need to improve the protection out there .
I have to admit , the west side is hard to get to because of the
wild blackberries and I've let the chicken wire and 'lectric wires
get overgrown a little . It's been working so well until recently
that I've become complacent , and that's gotta end . I'm not
certain if they're crawling under the chicken wire or going over ,
probably the latter since there are sags that weren't there when I
installed it . Either way , I'll be out there today tightening
things up in an effort to stop it - all the ripe or nearly ripe
'maters are gone , and they've started in on the green ones , I
gotta do something or this will be the end of tomato season for
this year . And I've got a lot more jars to fill .

Groundhogs are eating my neighbors tomatoes.Â* Time for the
Hav-a-hart trap.

Â*Â* OK , I know most of y'all don't have the conditions I do here
living out in the woods . So trap the l'il sucker , carry him out
into the woods (so to speak) and cap him there .

If I could shoot out back, I'd use my .22LR.Â* Trapping laws vary and
around here you can trap and kill but not release off your property.
I trap and release anyway.Â* When I was still working in the lab with
access to chemicals an older chemist told me to pour a bottle of
chloroform down the groundhog's burrow where the heavy vapor would
settle underground in the tunnel bottom.Â* Groundhog would go in and
get anesthetized permanently.Â* It worked for one in my back yard.

Have you tried dry ice down their holes?

No but it might work too. I prefer the Hav-a-hart and tell people I
relocate them to more affluent neighborhoods.

I took a couple with a bow at deer camp I used to go to. Taste like
chicken.