Old 16-08-2018, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Well no wonder !

On 8/15/2018 5:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:30 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:14 PM, T wrote:
On 08/15/2018 04:33 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:
On 08/12/2018 01:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/12/2018 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/12/2018 7:50 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Seems that in the last week or two something(s) have been
marauding my tomato patch . I thought I had it better protected
... yesterday afternoon I set up my game cam in the corner where
they've been eating their ill-gotten gains , only to discover
there are 3 shifts ... late afternoon/early evening , the
squirrels dine , then after dark the raccoons come in , followed
later by the 'possums . Looks like I need to improve the
protection out there . I have to admit , the west side is hard
to get to because of the wild blackberries and I've let the
chicken wire and 'lectric wires get overgrown a little . It's
been working so well until recently that I've become complacent
, and that's gotta end . I'm not certain if they're crawling
under the chicken wire or going over , probably the latter since
there are sags that weren't there when I installed it . Either
way , I'll be out there today tightening things up in an effort
to stop it - all the ripe or nearly ripe 'maters are gone , and
they've started in on the green ones , I gotta do something or
this will be the end of tomato season for this year . And I've
got a lot more jars to fill .

Groundhogs are eating my neighbors tomatoes.Â* Time for the
Hav-a-hart trap.

Â*Â* 22-250 from 300 yards .

Do they explode when you hit them?

Â*Â* Depends on the load ... a 22-250 hollow point at 3800 fps MV ,
yes . A .243 HP at 3300 , maybe if you hit the body . Regular .22 LR
, no .

A rabbit/hare won't go down with a 22 LR.

Sure they will but probably not right away unless hit in the head or
the spine.

Â* Squirrels too . Unless you get a head or upper spine shot they ain't
hangin' around . I've seen them drag themselves off and claw their way
up a tree with their back legs totally dead . I have declared war on the
local squirrel population , they are apparently the major destroyers of
my tomato patch .I figger if I kill all the ones that know there's a
bounty there , the better chance the few tomatoes left will have a
chance . There are still a lot of blossoms ... and they too deserve a
chance . TOMATO LIVES MATTER !

Friend in a nearby development uses subsonic .22LR on them. Another,
bothered by them, asked what to do and I suggested a pellet gun but now
he uses his shotgun as with 40 acres he can do anything. He just wanted
to keep them out when he was not around. Squirrel population bounces
back but if you get rid of the locals that are already hanging around
you probably remove most of the problem. They look cute but are nothing
but tree rats.