Old 16-08-2018, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Well no wonder !

On 8/15/2018 7:24 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/15/2018 7:32 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 5:36 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/15/2018 5:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:30 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:14 PM, T wrote:
On 08/15/2018 04:33 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:
On 08/12/2018 01:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/12/2018 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/12/2018 7:50 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Seems that in the last week or two something(s) have been
marauding my tomato patch . I thought I had it better
protected ... yesterday afternoon I set up my game cam in
the corner where they've been eating their ill-gotten gains
, only to discover there are 3 shifts ... late
afternoon/early evening , the squirrels dine , then after
dark the raccoons come in , followed later by the 'possums .
Looks like I need to improve the protection out there . I
have to admit , the west side is hard to get to because of
the wild blackberries and I've let the chicken wire and
'lectric wires get overgrown a little . It's been working so
well until recently that I've become complacent , and that's
gotta end . I'm not certain if they're crawling under the
chicken wire or going over , probably the latter since there
are sags that weren't there when I installed it . Either way
, I'll be out there today tightening things up in an effort
to stop it - all the ripe or nearly ripe 'maters are gone ,
and they've started in on the green ones , I gotta do
something or this will be the end of tomato season for this
year . And I've got a lot more jars to fill .

Groundhogs are eating my neighbors tomatoes. Time for the
Hav-a-hart trap.

Â*Â* 22-250 from 300 yards .

Do they explode when you hit them?

Â*Â* Depends on the load ... a 22-250 hollow point at 3800 fps MV
, yes . A .243 HP at 3300 , maybe if you hit the body . Regular
.22 LR , no .

A rabbit/hare won't go down with a 22 LR.

Sure they will but probably not right away unless hit in the head
or the spine.

Â*Â* Squirrels too . Unless you get a head or upper spine shot they
ain't hangin' around . I've seen them drag themselves off and claw
their way up a tree with their back legs totally dead . I have
declared war on the local squirrel population , they are apparently
the major destroyers of my tomato patch .I figger if I kill all the
ones that know there's a bounty there , the better chance the few
tomatoes left will have a chance . There are still a lot of
blossoms ... and they too deserve a chance . TOMATO LIVES MATTER !

Friend in a nearby development uses subsonic .22LR on them. Another,
bothered by them, asked what to do and I suggested a pellet gun but
now he uses his shotgun as with 40 acres he can do anything.Â* He
just wanted to keep them out when he was not around.Â* Squirrel
population bounces back but if you get rid of the locals that are
already hanging around you probably remove most of the problem.Â*
They look cute but are nothing but tree rats.

Â*Â* Funny you should mention shotguns ... I was considering using one
, kinda like an instant gratification thing . I also (usually) use
subsonic .22 ammo , and they seldom expire on the spot .

I guess it depends on the noise level you can get away with.Â* I can't
shoot in my yard most of the time and the critters are not around when
I might be able to shoot them.

Â* Frank , I live 12 miles from the nearest town in a clearing out in
the woods ... noise is not a problem . There are neighbors , but we can
only see one of them . In the winter , when the trees are bare .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old