Old 16-08-2018, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Well no wonder !

On 8/16/2018 6:34 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/15/2018 9:19 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 7:24 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/15/2018 7:32 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 5:36 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/15/2018 5:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:30 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:14 PM, T wrote:
On 08/15/2018 04:33 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:
On 08/12/2018 01:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/12/2018 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/12/2018 7:50 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Seems that in the last week or two something(s) have
been marauding my tomato patch . I thought I had it better
protected ... yesterday afternoon I set up my game cam in
the corner where they've been eating their ill-gotten
gains , only to discover there are 3 shifts ... late
afternoon/early evening , the squirrels dine , then after
dark the raccoons come in , followed later by the 'possums
. Looks like I need to improve the protection out there .
I have to admit , the west side is hard to get to because
of the wild blackberries and I've let the chicken wire and
'lectric wires get overgrown a little . It's been working
so well until recently that I've become complacent , and
that's gotta end . I'm not certain if they're crawling
under the chicken wire or going over , probably the latter
since there are sags that weren't there when I installed
it . Either way , I'll be out there today tightening
things up in an effort to stop it - all the ripe or nearly
ripe 'maters are gone , and they've started in on the
green ones , I gotta do something or this will be the end
of tomato season for this year . And I've got a lot more
jars to fill .

Groundhogs are eating my neighbors tomatoes. Time for the
Hav-a-hart trap.

Â*Â* 22-250 from 300 yards .

Do they explode when you hit them?

Â*Â* Depends on the load ... a 22-250 hollow point at 3800 fps
MV , yes . A .243 HP at 3300 , maybe if you hit the body .
Regular .22 LR , no .

A rabbit/hare won't go down with a 22 LR.

Sure they will but probably not right away unless hit in the
head or the spine.

Â*Â* Squirrels too . Unless you get a head or upper spine shot they
ain't hangin' around . I've seen them drag themselves off and
claw their way up a tree with their back legs totally dead . I
have declared war on the local squirrel population , they are
apparently the major destroyers of my tomato patch .I figger if I
kill all the ones that know there's a bounty there , the better
chance the few tomatoes left will have a chance . There are still
a lot of blossoms ... and they too deserve a chance . TOMATO
LIVES MATTER !

Friend in a nearby development uses subsonic .22LR on them.
Another, bothered by them, asked what to do and I suggested a
pellet gun but now he uses his shotgun as with 40 acres he can do
anything.Â* He just wanted to keep them out when he was not
around.Â* Squirrel population bounces back but if you get rid of
the locals that are already hanging around you probably remove
most of the problem. They look cute but are nothing but tree rats.

Â*Â* Funny you should mention shotguns ... I was considering using
one , kinda like an instant gratification thing . I also (usually)
use subsonic .22 ammo , and they seldom expire on the spot .

I guess it depends on the noise level you can get away with. I can't
shoot in my yard most of the time and the critters are not around
when I might be able to shoot them.

Â*Â* Frank , I live 12 miles from the nearest town in a clearing out in
the woods ... noise is not a problem . There are neighbors , but we
can only see one of them . In the winter , when the trees are bare .

Trouble may come if someone hears a shot when not expected.Â* I'm
thinking of incident in friends deer camp that had neighbors calling
the game warden in on us to check the camp.Â* One of the hunters there
had fired a few tracer rounds after dark just to see what they looked
like and somebody living maybe a quarter mile away called the game
warden.

Â* The neighbors are more likely to trigger off a few rounds than I am .
Unless I'm sighting in something it's very rare to shoot more than one
round ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old