Old 17-08-2018, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default What is wrong with my roma's?

T wrote:
Hi All,

On a lark, I decided to try growing Roma Tomatoes. (I am very
successful with cherries, but never big tomatoes.)

Well, I got lots of green Roma's , which is a good sign. But
when they ripen, the ends turn brown.

https://ibb.co/kWZW0z

What the heck?

could be blossom end rot, which is a lack of
even moisture/calcium deficiency issue that often
happens when the plant's root system can't keep
up with the demand for moisture in the
fruits/leaves.

next season try dryland farming a variety that
is better suited for not being watered. if you
have the space for them, they are planted further
apart and the soil is prepped when there is moisture
to fluff it up, but after that they are not watered
at all. you may not get a large amount of fruits
but what you get are what you think of as a tomato.

i've seen Early Girl mentioned as a popular
dryland farming tomato.

i also think that if the cherry tomatoes are
working out for you why mess with a good thing...

the tomatoes are just now coming in here. we
gave away about 15 lbs of Roma tomatoes yesterday
along with me putting up 9 quarts of tomato chunks.
just the start...

we've been having a bit of a dry spell the past
few weeks so i have had to keep watering otherwise
our clay soil will crack deeply. today we are
finally getting some rain, i'm not sure it will
be enough, but we'll see what it looks like tomorrow
when i go out there and poke around.

songbird