Old 17-08-2018, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default spaghetti squash questions

T wrote:
Hi All,

Is there anything wrong with this guy (weird color) or is
he just not ripe yet?

https://ibb.co/m7UBYK

you may have an odd seed/plant in the mix from any
package of seeds. so if this one plant is consistently
different from the others that is likely what has
happened. otherwise it may be that it will take a bit
longer to ripen. but those are a basic summer squash
anyways so i'd say you could eat them any time you like.

And when do you harvest them? When they are yellow like
in the store?

if that's the variety you have...

And I noticed that as they turn yellow, they start to get
green speckles. Does this mean they are ready?

https://ibb.co/dgAULz

Noticed the same green speckles on my Golden Zukes, and they
are quite ready when this happens.

looks good to me. i think how they taste to you is
the most important thing. so pick 'em and try them
and if you need to write down notes so you know next
time when you like them the best.

we've only grown spaghetti squash here once and i
don't recall them taking too much time to go from big
enough to ready (as it's a summer squash i consider
them edible from quite small sizes).

songbird