Old 29-08-2018, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
azigni azigni is offline

Default Tiny centipedes in house plants - help!

On 8/29/18 4:33 AM, wrote:
On Friday, April 9, 1999 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Bugged wrote:
Hello Rec.Gardens.
I don't normally read or post here, but on other NGs; but I thought
someone could lend their expertise?
We have some houseplants with extra space in their large pots. Last
December we bought some tulip bulbs and planted them in various pots
hoping for some early tulips. Well, some are still growing from the
soil in the pot, and some died. Today we went to remove the ones that
did not rise, and at least one of the pots now has very tiny
"centipedes" in it.
Presumably, these grew from and fed on the dead bulbs (appeared that
way), and are now in the top-most layers of the potted soil.
HELP! There are no other places where they appear in the plant, so we
are not afraid these will attack the stems/branches and leaves of the
plant (rubber tree). However, we are worried the bugs are eating or
will eat the roots. There is little chance the bugs will leave the
pot, as it is large, very deep and the bugs themselves do not like to
be seen.
I know this may sound a bit crazy to some of you who are experienced
gardeners, but we are just getting started. Does anyone have a
suggestion that will not damage the plant?
Please email your responses too if you don't mind - we may not be back
to the newsgroup very soon.
Thanks in advance,
Bugged.

again after 18 years the bugs will probably moved on but if not try new soil

If you are really worried about them, buy a bag of diatomaceous earth.
This is fossilized shell fragments of very small animals from long ago.

Sprinkle lightly on the top dirt. The material will get into the joints
of the 'centipedes', cut them, and cause them to dry out and die.

You could probably sprinkle on some roach powder and get the same end
result.