Old 30-09-2018, 07:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
wg_2002[_2_] wg_2002[_2_] is offline

Default Identifying a Dead Conifer to Replace

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 23:08:31 +0100, Terry Deans wrote:

Hi,

I have been asked to replace a dead conifer as photographed. Problem is
I am not completely sure what the dead one is. I think it's possibly
Thuja Orientalis or Chamaecyparis Lawsonia but not sure.

Then I saw this in another garden and thought ' that could be it!'

The live one in the photos may not be the one I am replacing, but it
will do the job nicely as it is around 4 feet high in this image
although it looks trimmed regularly enough so as to keep its height and
spread in check.

So, any identification advice would be great plus any good sourcing
suppliers for the replacement would be nice.

I've been offered a couple of Cupressus macrocarpa 'Wilma' (Monterey
cypress 'Wilma')or Goldcrest by a local garden centre which grows to 3m
height and 1m spread eventually. Would that do the job, so long as it
was trimmed annually to control it from getting too tall? The 1m spread
is fine.

Thank you

Terry

|Filename: ConiferDead.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16707|
|Filename: Conifer1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16708|
|Filename: conifer2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16709|

Hi terry
Your first picture looks like a dead Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Golden Mop'
to me. A very mature one at that.