Old 31-10-2018, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Blueberries

In article
Terry Coombs writes:
Â* Picked up a couple of plants yesterday , and am pretty sure we're
going to have to make the soil more acidic for them . Planting area was
formerly oak/mixed hardwood forest .

Have you tested the pH? Oak tannin tends to acidify soil over the
long term.

It's been recommended to use
sawdust as a mulch to help with that , along with peat moss . I'm
wondering if the "litter" from my wood cutting and splitting will work
for that . Some chainsaw chips , some bark , some just chips from
splitting . There's also a good amount of composted/partly composted
stuff from previous years that I can use .

As I understand it, it will depend on the species. Oak tends to
acidic, maple to neutral. No clue about others. Pine needles are
acidic, but I don't know about the wood.

My blueberry attempts all failed, but I think that can be chalked
up to the huge walnut stump across the fence. May try again this
spring.

I need to prep some bush space anyway, since apparently Ohio finally
dropped their ban on sales of currants. Unfortunately, I only
picked up on that after spring shipments were finished for this
year.

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.