Old 03-11-2018, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Blueberries

On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 6:21:29 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Picked up a couple of plants yesterday , and am pretty sure we're
going to have to make the soil more acidic for them . Planting area was
formerly oak/mixed hardwood forest . It's been recommended to use
sawdust as a mulch to help with that , along with peat moss . I'm
wondering if the "litter" from my wood cutting and splitting will work
for that . Some chainsaw chips , some bark , some just chips from
splitting . There's also a good amount of composted/partly composted
stuff from previous years that I can use .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

I've never had any luck with berries. I've tried blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, but none produced enough berries to make it worthwhile. I adjusted the soil pH and followed the rest of the suggestions but no luck. The strawberries did well for a year or two but my hip gave out this spring and now they're overrun with weeds.

Stone fruit don't do well for us either. Although we get lots of apples, pears, and an occasional quince, the plums and apricots wither and drop off the trees before they ripen.