Old 19-11-2018, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default may get some plants in soon

On 5/25/18 9:52 PM, T wrote:
On 05/25/2018 08:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/25/2018 9:31 PM, T wrote:
On 05/25/2018 08:05 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/25/2018 8:17 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

On 5/25/2018 12:04 AM, songbird wrote:
Â*Â*Â* perhaps that is why they call it May?Â*

I am not suppose to plant till the second week in June
(zone 6b).

:-(

But I'VE GOTÂ*Â*Â* WWWWW EEEEEEEEE DDDDDD SSSS !!!!Â* Hay,
your maters may be thee foot tall, but my weeds are a
foot tall and I got millions of them!

Okay, not much of a comparison.

Look over at my patch for growing tomatoes and
it is a forest of cheat grass.Â* My poor back!

Â*Â* Are you mulching ? I put a heavy layer of straw down between the
rows/plants , helps a lot with weed control - plus as it decomposes it
adds organic material to my soil .

No I haven't been mulching.Â* I haven't the time or resources.

Another measure I take is to burn any grass , in hopes that it will
kill the seeds .

Fire?Â* You do know I am a married man?Â* When she is done
killing me, she will come for you!Â* (ordinarily, she is
the sweetest thing on this earth, but don't burn anything
around her!)

On another topic , was it you that had problems with squash bugs ?
Found a few out on/near my acorn and other squash plants , and
squashed them ...pun intended . I'm wondering if just removing the
eggs from the leaves is enough , or if I need to take additional steps
to prevent a major infestation .

The little buzzards are hard to squish, so you really have the stomp
hard.Â* And they are stink bugs, so don't squash them with your hands
or gloves.Â* Pew pew pew.

They will lay their eggs under squash leaves.Â* Look under the leaves to
find them.Â* When you get good at it, you will notice a stain on the
top of your leaves.Â* I just mash/squash them with my fingers (eggs
don't smell).

The same stain can also signal a group of immature bugs.
They are social and clump together, so you have about three
seconds to spray them with organic pyrethrum.Â* You can kill
about 20 with one squirt.

I spot water with a watering wand.Â* Squash bugs LOVE the trunks
of squash plants during the day and despise getting wet.Â* So I
water the trunk first and wait and see what wonders up.Â* Then
I spray them with organic pyrethrum.Â* The adults are armor plated,
so you have to spray then right on the nose.Â* Some will go under they
vulnerable underbellies, and that will kill them.Â* Their backs
are impervious. They are also pretty slow to react during the
heat of the day.

I love to catch the making wooppie.Â* Their butts are together and don't
comes apart.Â* They fight each other as to which way to run.Â* Easy to
nail two at once.

They also love the underside of your squash fruit during the day as
it is cooler under there.Â* I shake them off and stomp them.

Death to squash bugs!
Death to earwigs!
Death to weeds!

I posted this in may! Infernal September for you.