Old 28-12-2018, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hyacinths as indoor plants

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 14:39:10 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

I had some hyacinths in my garden for many years, but they weren't
thriving, so I potted them up and have been treating them as winter
house plants (pots stood outside over summer).

The problem I have with them as house plants is that the leaves and
flowering stems tend to flop over. Does anyone have any relevant
experience and advice?

Do you have central heating? If so, perhaps the air in the house is
too dry. Try standing the pots on a bed of pebbles or Hortag (if it's
still sold), which is kept permanently wet to provide a humid
microclimate.

My guess is that 'too hot' is more likely. They do OK on our kitchen
windowsill, but it's typically only about 15 Celsius in winter, and
very rarely more than 20.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.