Old 28-12-2018, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hyacinths as indoor plants

On 28/12/2018 14:39, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I had some hyacinths in my garden for many years, but they weren't
thriving, so I potted them up and have been treating them as winter
house plants (pots stood outside over summer).

The problem I have with them as house plants is that the leaves and
flowering stems tend to flop over. Does anyone have any relevant
experience and advice?

They always flop for me, inside and out! I asked a professional Dutch
parks gardener how to stop them doing it (having noticed they all look
upright in the Dutch displays) he told me that they push wires down
through the flower stems, but as that destroys the bulb its not really a
viable method unless you are treating them as annuals!!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall