Old 31-12-2018, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default fuschia propogation

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 04:09:51 -0800 (PST), PuttPutt wrote:

I have some hardy fuschia plants inherited from my neighbour.
I am trying to propogate from cuttings, I start them in a glass of water till the roots show but on transfering them to a mixture of peat, sharp sand and vermiculite they fail.
Could you please help this newby? Just love those fuschias.

Two choices in IMO and I have 15+.
Just take ordinary cuttings directly into your mixture. Expect some to fail
so take enough (hard wood not soft cuttings)
OR heel the plants into the ground or even a tub and wait for them to
sprout in the spring. Then either split the root ball or rip off the
budding stemm with the old root.
They are hard to kill and I'm on Tyneside where it can get chilly.
--
Jim S