Old 31-12-2018, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fuschia propogation

On 31/12/2018 12:09, PuttPutt wrote:
I have some hardy fuschia plants inherited from my neighbour.
I am trying to propogate from cuttings, I start them in a glass of water till the roots show but on transfering them to a mixture of peat, sharp sand and vermiculite they fail.
Could you please help this newby? Just love those fuschias.

I found fuchsia easy from tip cuttings in potting compost with bottom
heat in spring, but from everyone else's comments it seems that there
are other ways of propagating fuchsias.

My guess would be that you damage root hairs when transferring cuttings
from water to compost, and the reserves in the cuttings aren't
sufficient to replace the root hairs, after expenditure on producing the
roots in the first place.

--
SRH