Old 02-01-2019, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default In flower today

On 01/01/2019 11:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
[snip]
Although it has been pretty mild, I'm surprised at how much of the
tender stuff is still in flower here (south central Hampshire). We are
expecting a frost tonight and perhaps for the next couple of days. I'll
bet the bedding/pot plants will be hit, but expect there will still be a
flower or two on the most sheltered ones.

I'm sure that Charlie and Chris will be doing a lot better in
"equatorial" Cornwall!

Happy New Year!

Amongst the more tender things still hanging on with flowers here are
some sempervivums and pelargoniums in a hanging baskets. The last few
flowers are still going on centranthus ruber in protected spots and
calendulas are still going great guns with a fine display of flowers.

Daffodils and snowdrops are well advanced but so far none are out.

This is in sunny North Yorkshire where plenty of weeds are still
growing, flowering and setting seed too. Last few mild days seems to
have brought quite a few things back into flower. Looks like they are in
for a shock tonight though when a hard frost is predicted.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown