Old 08-01-2019, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default fuschia propogation

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 10:06:10 -0800 (PST), PuttPutt wrote:

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 11:57:39 PM UTC, David Rance wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 14:55:10 Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 04:09:51 -0800 (PST), PuttPutt
wrote:

I have some hardy fuschia plants inherited from my neighbour.
I am trying to propogate from cuttings, I start them in a glass of
water till the roots show but on transfering them to a mixture of
peat, sharp sand and vermiculite they fail.
Could you please help this newby? Just love those fuschias.

Transferring cuttings rooted that way is often a bit difficult. It's
as if the roots in the water are in some way different to roots that
grow in the soil.

That's brought back some memories from what I learned at school some
seventy years ago. I was told by my primary school teacher that if you
try to grow anything in water, be it seed or cuttings, they produce what
she called water roots which were always somewhat less sturdy than roots
grown in soil. I tried growing runner beans by starting them off in a
jam jar and blotting paper (to wedge them to the side of the jar so that
they didn't rot in the water at the bottom - and I'm sure generations of
children have done the same). My experiments showed me that beans
started off thus were never grew as strongly when planted out as those
that were started in soil. Well, obviously they weren't getting the
nutrients they needed from the water. (I hadn't heard of hydroponics
that long ago!)

Therefore I've always simply stuck cuttings straight into the ground,
whether they be vines, roses or fuchsias. With vines I could get a good
80% of them taking, probably a bit less with other cuttings.

David

Thanks all for the replies, a wealth of knowledge gained.
My neighbour was it dome time a gardener at Quenby Hall and when he moved out I tried to save some of his plants before the garden was bulldozed, I only have fuscia and pinks from my efforts.

What more do you need?
Next season jot down the colours of the flowers and if two similar are
adjacent, then move them. They are very forgiving. Some will turn into
trees if you leave them. I cut mine near the ground, but leave one stalk
visible so I don't stand on it in the winter.
--
Jim S