Old 27-01-2019, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Winter Harvest

Nyssa wrote:
songbird wrote:

a 6-8ft fence...

Unaffordable and impractical.

Nyssa, who needs to save money, not spend it

i'm entirely with you in spirit as i am a
very frugal person too by nature. in the case
of the fence i'm putting up i will run me about
$200 to enclose the north garden. the 6ft fence
rolls of 100ft each will keep out rabbits, deer
and groundhogs, the three major destructors and
feeders upon my strawberry plants that i hope
to restore to this garden once i get the fence up.

i value my time and efforts enough that i will
put a fence up before i put any more efforts into
planting that garden again. i can easily get
that $ back in a few years by what strawberries
i can pick and then put up as jam. i have a
cousin who loves the jam and he gives Mom gift
certificates each year so it is not a waste of $
or time. i'd grow them anyways as i really like
fresh strawberries.

up until about 4yrs ago the deer didn't know
the feast they were missing and had not raided
the north garden that much. then one year a
herd bedded down during a storm on that garden
and they've been back through since. each year
we hope the hunters will take out the ring-leaders
and perhaps they thinned them out a lot this year
because we've not seen them around much so far,
but that can change...

it hasn't been too heavily snow covered yet so
the deer have had plenty of browsing on the grasses
in other places.

i've only scared one smaller deer from the back
yard this winter and it did not like that it only
had one escape route so i'm hoping it won't be
back.

the cedar tree fedge (fence/hedge ) is
sacrificial during a hard winter they'll really
chomp away at it. i wish they'd come and trim
the one tree that is overtaking the pathway, but
they leave that one alone... lol ah well...

songbird