Old 27-01-2019, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Winter Harvest

Pavel314 wrote:
We have four foot fences around the sheep pastures and I've seen deer hop over them from a standing position nearby; looks like they just float over. I wonder if anyone has tried a double fence system so that they don't have enough room to make the leap.

yeah, 4ft is not tall enough. there are various
ways of doing deer proof fences. you can add tall
poles with flags at the top and a 6ft fence and hope
that works to make them think it is actually as tall
as the poles/flags. if it doesn't then a wire
along the top of the poles probably would.

putting large random rocks and other obstacles
around the outside of the fence so they don't have
any easy launching points will also help at least
during the growing season. around here with it
possible for there to be several feet of snow
piling up i don't plan on anything anywhere to not
be in peril through the winter months.

songbird