Old 02-02-2019, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Guardian Recycleable Plastic Bag - How Long?

On 02/02/2019 12:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 11:19:39 -0000, "Bill Davy"
wrote:

If I bury them in the garden mixed in with the usual kitchen waste, will
they be a problem after, say, a year?
I would not bury masses (about one per week).
I do not want to put them in the town recycling bin as they might reduce the
value of the batch (or cause processors to reject the whole batch) because
it contains "films".
And please, no guesses, I have lots of my own, and they are free.
Rgds,
Bill

A quick google for Guardian recyclable plastic bags doesn't reveal
much about them. What are they made of? Does it say on them? Some bags
these days are being made from potato starch, or possibly corn or
wheat starch, just like the packaging peanuts. The starch bags I've
seen, and only one or two so not a huge number, have a softer feel and
aren't shiny like traditional plastic bags. The packaging peanuts go
mushy in water almost immediately, and I always put them on the
compost heap and they disappear very quickly (but you have to
distinguish them from styrofoam peanuts, which last for ever, maybe
longer). But I can't imagine a carrier bag made of similar starch
would be much use - a shower of rain and your shopping is all over the
car park!

So, what are your bags made of?

I should think that common sence would tell you Recycable is just that
Bio degradeable would mean it could be composted.
I've just come back froma visit to china and several Plastic carrier
bags I had were clearly marked in English "This plastic bag contains
Biodegradable Material"