Old 05-02-2019, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sand for sticky borders

On 05/02/19 11:02, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:49:20 +0000, Another John wrote:

A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

TIA

John

Personally I would use lime if the stickyness is due to clay.

Lime? Surely you are referring to gypsum ("claybreaker"). This will
still add calcium to the soil, but won't affect the pH as lime would.

--

Jeff