Old 09-02-2019, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default April 15th cometh

On 2/8/2019 1:56 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual
last frost here . So today I dug out all the seeds , mounted the shelf
in the window and hung the grow light on it , and ordered some seedling
starter cells on eBay . When I talked to our nursery manager she says
the seeds they are a-comin' and should be here by mid-week . I'm
shooting for the last week of Feb to have all the stuff I want to start
early in starter cells . I'll be going a different direction this year
in regards to mulching for weed control . I've been using a heavy layer
of straw , and that works to keep weeds down . What it doesn't do is
prevent blight spores from being splashed up onto the plants when I
water . So this year I've decided to lay cardboard down around all my
seedlings as I plant . It too will decompose and enrich the soil and
slow evaporation just as the straw has - but - I don't think it will
help lighten the texture of the soil (clay/silt/rocks and gravel) so I
may put straw down too . Last year just as my tomatoes were hitting
their stride and producing well , the blight struck . And to add insult
to injury , the damn squirrels ate everything on the plants , right down
to the smallest green tomato . I have a plan for that too ...

Thought you might get a kick out of this:

https://www.tomatoesareevil.com/