Old 09-02-2019, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default April 15th cometh

On 2/9/2019 8:03 AM, Frank wrote:
On 2/8/2019 1:56 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual
last frost here . So today I dug out all the seeds , mounted the
shelf in the window and hung the grow light on it , and ordered some
seedling starter cells on eBay . When I talked to our nursery manager
she says the seeds they are a-comin' and should be here by mid-week .
I'm shooting for the last week of Feb to have all the stuff I want to
start early in starter cells . I'll be going a different direction
this year in regards to mulching for weed control . I've been using a
heavy layer of straw , and that works to keep weeds down . What it
doesn't do is prevent blight spores from being splashed up onto the
plants when I water . So this year I've decided to lay cardboard down
around all my seedlings as I plant . It too will decompose and enrich
the soil and slow evaporation just as the straw has - but - I don't
think it will help lighten the texture of the soil (clay/silt/rocks
and gravel) so I may put straw down too . Last year just as my
tomatoes were hitting their stride and producing well , the blight
struck . And to add insult to injury , the damn squirrels ate
everything on the plants , right down to the smallest green tomato .
I have a plan for that too ...

Thought you might get a kick out of this:

https://www.tomatoesareevil.com/

Â* Loved it !

--
Snag