Old 12-02-2019, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Cardboard as mulch and other Q's

Â* I was just wondering if using cardboard instead of (or in addition
to) straw as mulch will help prevent stuff like squash borers from
attacking the plants . I'm doing it this year for other reasons , just
wondered if that might be a bonus . Got a few seeds in the dirt today ,
iceberg lettuce out in the garden and tomatoes and green peppers in
starter cells . I think this year I'll start my squashes indoors too ,
I've had lousy germination rates planting outside . But they grow fast ,
and I'm not sure how much lead time they need before planting out .
Suggestions ? 4 weeks ? 5 maybe ?

Â* I'm also looking for suggestions for a sweet corn variety . I'm going
to try some this year in hopes my wife can eat homegrown - we suspect
the Roundup used on commercial corn crops is the true culprit with her
corn "allergy" .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old