Old 19-02-2019, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] peek0703@gmail.com is offline

Default finally some snow in the forecast

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:55:15 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 1/16/19 6:54 AM, songbird wrote:
today starts off with some ice coating everything,
the trees, rocks and ... all sparkling in the sun
and wind.

still no snow on the ground, but later this week
we finally have some snow coming. i sure hope so -
never really know until it gets here on the ground.
i hate going into this part of winter without some
snow cover.

otherwise, it has been mostly cloudy too often
and not much sun. maybe ten days since September
have had sunshine. it doesn't really bother me
as much as some others.

also starting to try to get out to walk more
often when the weather permits - i need to build up
my endurance now that my achilles tendon has had
some time to heal. i won't be going until later
after the ice melts off the roads.

in the meantime i'm keeping busy enough with
projects and stuff[tm]. i have a book to work
through coming that should keep me busy for
several weeks.

songbird

We have had rain then snow, then rain, then snow, then
rain over the past two weeks.

When the rain melts enough snow to see the garden. It
is green. Not with anything I want to eat mind you.
With WEEDS!!!

Have a close look at those weeds. Often the lamb's quarter(chenopodium sp.) and red root pigweed (amaranth) appear early along with upland cress. All are edible and tasty both in a salad or as cooked greens. When I was able to garden I looked forward to the wild edibles appearing. before planting time.
Steve

I have six gallons of vinegar waiting to pickle them, but
it required dry ground or it won't work. So I have to
wait for everything to dry out. In the mean time, the
weeds keep growing. Dang!

And show is forecast for Wednesday through Friday again.

At least my favorite fishing won't dry out again this year.