Old 04-03-2019, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default April 15th cometh

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 6:18:51 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 3/3/2019 2:38 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 12:27:26 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 3/3/2019 5:22 AM, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
My wife uses the black plastic garden cloth method on some of her rows, cutting holes every so often to put the plants and leaving the plastic intact elsewhere to prevent weeds. One year, I decided to try that in the pumpkin patch and they all died early! I realized later that pumpkin vines put down roots every so often to get water for the far ends of the spread-out plants; when the roots on the extremities tried to get into the soil, they were stopped by the plastic.
yeah, that would be an issue for some varieties of
squash/pumpkins. some are more bush type and don't
do that (we've not grown any of those here yet).

songbird

I don't have enough space in my garden to plant pumpkin vines.Â* I can
only go so far UP with vine crops, and sometimes that still isn't enough
space.

--
Maggie

A couple of years ago, one of the pumpkin plants ventured out of the patch and sent a vine up a small tree nearby. I was very surprised to see a pumpkin hanging off a tree about five feet above the ground.

Paul

I've never had much luck growing any type of melons.

--
Maggie

My wife could never grow Blue Hubbards, but I produce a lot of big ones. On the other hand, I lost the ability to grow cabbage and potatoes several years ago then she took over with great success.

Paul