Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Growing strawberries vertically that winter well

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 1:32:18 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
Dave wrote:
I have been asked for thoughts on growing strawberries vertically to
save space for our garden. Raised on a farm, I know how to do that
in-ground, but have no idea how to do it vertically and still have the
plants productive for a few years after some N.Y. winters. Any
suggestions on how to do this?

I have looked at the plastic strawberry towers, but have been told they
are a one-shot deal. Some have said to move them into an un-heated
garage for the winter and they will be fine. Anyone done this successfully?

no i've not done this, but i grow a lot of strawberries
in the normal fashion on the ground and suspect you could
go one or two levels without too much issue in terms of
loss of production as long as the stems between the plants
are not damaged.

having seen strawberry plants growing in very little
other than crushed limestone mulch and still flowering
they may do ok just hanging.

i would guess how much stress the plants might get from
the wind and sun and how they get their water would be
important as the fruiting quality is dependent upon there
being enough water and the right temperatures.

songbird

I was unable to tend the strawberry patch last year and now my wife wants to turn it into an asparagus bed. I was thinking of transplanting whatever strawberry plants are left along the rows in the vineyard, so that they can grow beneath the grapes.