Old 21-03-2019, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default EWG's 2019 Dirty Dozen list

On 3/20/2019 7:47 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Of some mind interest: the Environmental Working Group's
2019 top dozen pesticide contaminated vegi's:

Kale rejoins the 'Dirty Dozen' list as one of the most contaminated with
pesticides:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...ith-pesticides

1.Â* STRAWBERRIES
2.Â* SPINACH
3.Â* KALE
4.Â* NECTARINES
5.Â* APPLES
6.Â* GRAPES
7.Â* PEACHES
8.Â* CHERRIES
9.Â* PEARS
10. TOMATOES
11. CELERY
12. POTATOES

Is kale actually edible, even without the pesticides?

:-)

-T

I wonder about pronouncements from this activist group. This is first
opinion of what others think:

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/25...orly-you-11323

As a long retired chemist I am amazed at improvements in analytic
chemistry to now find materials down to parts per trillion. Also as a
chemist I know that toxicity is dose related and presence of a
contaminant does not necessarily mean it can harm you.

As for kale, I knew nothing about it but noted today it was part of a
store mixed salad I had for lunch. By itself it would not be a good
salad but the mix was very tasty. I read that kale is loaded with
vitamins but when I was on Coumadin I would have avoided it for high
vitamin K content.