Old 21-03-2019, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default EWG's 2019 Dirty Dozen list

On 3/21/2019 1:30 PM, jeff wrote:

I wonder about pronouncements from this activist group.Â* This is first
opinion of what others think:

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/25...orly-you-11323

As a long retired chemist I am amazed at improvements in analytic
chemistry to now find materials down to parts per trillion.Â* Also as a
chemist I know that toxicity is dose related and presence of a
contaminant does not necessarily mean it can harm you.

It can cut both ways; employed scientists are by definition in service
of the establishment; there are many historical examples of scientists
both parroting the message of their masters and self-censoring so as to
not rock the boat, appear too radical and thus jeopardize their career
prospects. Lastly, there is definitely a degree of arrogance in many of
the Sciences when it comes to what they think they know. In other
words, scientists are only human.

Upton Sinclair made a solid observation of this bias:

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary
depends on his not understanding it.â€

Very true. Scientists are not immune to these things.