Old 22-03-2019, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default California Lilac looks like it is dying :(

On 3/20/2019 9:14 PM, Pipper wrote:
replying to tinytee, Pipper wrote:
Our Victoria California Lilac’s leaves turned brown just recently. It was
very windy and we had two feet of snow in February. Freezing temperatures in
February. We live in Washington near the border of Canada. It is about five
years old. We have enjoyed it so much. Any ideas about what we should do?

The California lilac is not a true lilac. Lilacs are in the genus
Syringa, and California lilacs are in the genus Ceanothus.

The entire genus Ceanothus is known to be short-lived, 5-10 years.
Thus, yours might have merely died of old age.

Given your climate, try a true lilac. They appreciate snow.

--
David E. Ross

Pharmaceutical companies claim their drug prices are
so high because they have to recover the costs of developing
those drugs. Two questions:

1. Why is the U.S. paying the entire cost of development while
prices for the same drugs in other nations are much lower?

2. Manufacturers of generic drugs did not have those
development costs. Why are they charging so much for generics?