Old 23-03-2019, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default EWG's 2019 Dirty Dozen list

On 3/21/2019 2:34 PM, songbird wrote:
Drew Lawson wrote:
songbird writes:

grow tomatoes and strawberries without any *cides at
all.

Unfortunately, my garden is plagued by tomato leaf spot, so I am
dependant on copper sulfate. That's about all I use, aside from
RoundUp on the creaping thistle.

the tomatoes here get some kind of blight each
season but they still bear fruit and we get enough
so i've never treated for it. i have tried various
things recommended to eliminate it or reduce it
from happening, but each year it returns no matter
what. so since it doesn't cause us to lose the
crops i just continue to ignore it. the plants
look pretty sad by the end of the summer but by
then we've put up what we need so it's ok.

i would not use copper sulfate for long as the
copper can build up in the soil.

have you tried finding more resistant plants?
i have here but Mom is very fixated on what she
wants to grow so i gave up.

the troublesome weeds here are horsetail and
sow-thistle, but i've found out they can be
removed by manual methods and smothering once
you've got the worst of them cleared. you just
have to be sure to keep after any new ones that
may show up before they get going again.

songbird

Guy that sold tomatoes nearby said that you'd have to replace soil in
the garden by maybe 5 ft deep to get rid of the blight.