Old 24-03-2019, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] jo@no.go is offline

Default Grow Tunnel

On 3/24/19 6:53 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
My wife planted some early lettuce and covered the rows with some long grow tunnels. These are plastic sheeting attached to hoops which are stuck into the ground; picture at link.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...g.html?filters[user]=136208277&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

These were fine until we had a couple of windy days, with wind gusts up to 40 m.p.h, at which point the one on the windward side was blown out of the ground.

Has anyone else tried these? If so, do you have any tricks to keep them from blowing away? I thought of putting up some sort of wind break, like a short fence, on the windward side, which is to the north and west so it wouldn't block the Sun.

Paul

I don't have any experience with grow tunnels however just looking at it
as a physics problem you basically have the bernoulli effect creating
upward lift. Maybe some deer fencing could be used as an overlay --
something that lets some light through -- and adds more staking points
along the length of the tunnels. Deer fencing isn't terribly spendy and
you can probably roll it back up an reuse several seasons.