Old 24-03-2019, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default EWG's 2019 Dirty Dozen list

In article
songbird writes:

mulch makes a lot of things easier.

I read "Ruth Stout's No-Till Gardening" when I was about 13, and I
haven't been the same since.

The county yard waste place takes in brush/branches and grinds it
for free mulch. The only down side is that I have to load it myself.
Well, that and the fact that the garden is uphill from the driveway.

like how when the wood chips we use finally
break down they turn into the dark humus that
goes well in the veggie gardens.

My garden has been going for about 12 years. When I was tilling
last year, I was pleasantly surprised at how dark and fluffy the
soil was. It started out as yellow clay, which is still what is
down under the reach of the tiller.

I really should get it tested this year. I have no idea what the
N/P/K condition is, just the texture.

if i'm
lucky enough i can get enough to use in the
worm buckets as they'll recharge that and i
also mix in some garden soil to help give
the clay something more to bind to along with
all that organic matter. it makes for some
really nice fertilizer at the end of a year.

songbird

--
Drew Lawson | We were taking a vote when