Old 28-03-2019, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree sizes and growth rates

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

A birch that sowed itself in my garden was doing quite a bit better tha
40cm a year. I cut it down when it started getting into the neighbour
telephone lines.

Yes, birch, ash and a few others CAN do it, but need ideal conditions;
that seems to mean the obstruction of sunlight in some cases - i.e. if
the only light comes from above, they grow up in preference to outwards.

Also, as usual, trees that grow exceedingly fast to 3.5m aren't going
to stop there, as you point out ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.