Old 13-04-2019, 04:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default planting something to hid gap in Norway spruce

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:09:50 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/11/2019 5:23 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 7:42:06 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/10/2019 8:46 AM,
wrote:
On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 7:10:46 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/9/2019 3:39 PM,
wrote:
On Monday, April 8, 2019 at 6:57:18 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/8/2019 4:11 PM, Frank wrote:
A new neighbor had accidentally removed a shrub of mine near my large
Norway spruce.Â* Since bottom branches of spruce are broken off in that
area a large gap appears.Â* Wonder what to plant to fill the gap?

Thought I should post a pictu

https://imgur.com/a/BjdcnKu

It is actually a Colorado blue spruce largely denuded but Norway spruce
is next to it and that is the gap I am concerned about. It is unsightly
from the road.

I do not know what is is that neighbor planted but do not know if that
is what I want or what it will look like in a couple of years. That is
his house and drive on the right and as shown, trees are close to the
development cul-de-sac road.

Lesson for home owners is to be careful what you plant because this can
happen after 40 years.

Where is the property line? That bunch of about 10 things is what he planted?
They look like arborvitaes. He's a moron, IDK what the point to planting
them like that, in like 3 rows made into a bunch is. Planting them so they
are along the driveway and road would make sense. The area in between
that and your tree, you could plant a larger arborvitae, they grow pretty fast.
Deer a problem? They eat them, they have some varities that are said to be
deer resistant. If there are deer, that's a major issue in your selection.
They even eat hollies, but those less than arborvitaes. Whatever he's planted,
he's probably dumb so he won't water them and they will die anyway.

Property line is 5-10 ft from his driveway. Bush he cut back was on my
property. It was overgrown but I kept it cut back to the road. The
former neighbor who died never cut anything and new neighbor wanted a
bit more window turning out of his drive. About half what he planted is
on my property but he can take care of it. I did not blame him for the
mess as he did not know where the line was and it was a lawn crew that
botched it up.

A good neighbor would ask if they aren't sure. I might even ask
if what I was doing was close to the line, affected the neighbor, etc..

Now I just want it to look neater. I never see the area
as the cul-de-sac is past his house.

Deer are a big problem. Think I will look for arborvitae that grow 8-10 ft.

Make sure to look for the deer resistant variety. They leave them alone
in warm weather, but go to work on them in the winter. Usually it's not
enough to kill them, just set them back. Or ask the neighbor to move
a couple of the ones he planted and wait for them to grow. Fertilizer
will help. I said the way he planted them is stupid because it's just
a bunch, the middle ones would seem to be a waste to me. He could have
planted them so that it filled the hole, instead he wasted them.

Tempted to cut the big trees down but they do protect the house. Bush he
cut down, I called the Sloman shield. A neighbor, Sloman, up the street
parked and car slipped out of gear or something and would have crashed
into my living room if not for the bush.

Yes, they can help. Here in NJ, I don't understand the state highway
dept. There was miles of a state highway that had a huge median, maybe
150 ft wide, that had trees, shrubs, etc, just natural growth that was
left alone for years. They just spent a lot of money cutting it all
down and removing
it. Now if a driver falls asleep, is drunk, etc, instead of going off
the road into that, he can just go right on across to traffic in the
other direction. There are no guard rails. And it's not like most of
those trees were two or three feet in diameter, most were much smaller,
good to stop a car, but not so likely to be fatal. And it looks like
hell now too and some yahoo with high beams on can blind you.
Really dumb, IMO.

Deer only eat evergreens when they are starving and if that is all they
eat they can starve to death with a full stomach.

Well, they are eating evergreens here and I see large numbers walking
around, they don't look emaciated, same numbers around at the end of
winter as before, from what I can see. But heh, go ahead, get some of
those tasty emerald green arborvitaes and see how you make out.

Chances of somebody driving into my house are very slim but it almost
happened once and the bush saved us.

It would have to be a hell of an arborvitae to stop a car. BTW, since
it was your bush and the dopey new neighbor cut it down, why isn't he
replacing it? If it was me and he didn't offer, I'd find a bush, find
a guy to replace it and send him the bill.

Only an occasional problem here. They have not been too hard on those
around my house. A son nearby had a stand behind his pool and they
browsed them hard one winter but they fully recovered.

I do not intend to fight with my neighbor. He has been very good so far

A neighbor who doesn't ask you about where the property line is, cuts down
a large shrub on your property, then doesn't apologize and offer to replace
it, is not, by definition, "very good". If a neighbor apologized and offered
to pay for it, I'd just give them the bill for the shrub. If they just ignored
what they did, I'd send them the bill for having it replaced.

I had an asshole neighbor here who started a war over a tree that was on my
property that blew over in a storm and got hung up in a tree one winter.
It was hung up real good, wasn't about to just fall down and if it did,
it would have gone on their front lawn, not their house. The asshole called
the township on me. Township code guy was very sympathetic and satisfied
that I was dealing with it OK. The neighbor's daughter, who's married and
living there with her husband, is the real problem. She came over to me
with the old man and lit in to me. After she was done, I told her that since
she wants to complain, how about the fact that your wood pile and your kids
play house and swing are over the line on my property? The old man, he
says whaaaaat?, I would NEVER do that. So, I show him the concrete corner
marker, it's 4 ft PAST the wood pile and right by it. No way you could not
know where the line is and that your stuff is over it. Later that day, I
talked to the code guy and he says you're not going to believe this.
The daughter called up the town and wanted to know if just because their
crap is a few feet over onto my property, they have to move it!

ROFL

They had a nice little project moving that wood pile and disassembling
the play house and swing. And over the years I had been nice to them.
One winter they had no snow blower, the old man came over asking if he
could borrow mine and I said sure and let him have it. They used to let
their nasty dog, that had bit people, wander around onto my property too,
even though they know I have a cat. I should have called them on that,
but I let it go. After their "tree" incident, the dog
has only been over here once. I think they learned something, ie that
if it comes here again, I'll take pictures and call the dog pound.

Oh, and the tree incident, prior to calling the town on me, the asshole
had asked if when the tree guys come, could I get a price for them to
cut one good size healthy branch from another tree that's on my property, but
overhangs theirs, where if it broke off, it could graze their house.
I said sure. Even after they called the town on me, I honored my word.
The tree guys were there, had the boom truck on my property, working
on the tree that was hung up and they could do that branch from right
there. They went next door, told them it's $150 and guess what? They
said it was too much! Then, being real geniuses, they wait until the
crew is done with my tree and moves the truck off my property and out into
the street. Then I see the old man go out to the street, and later
I asked the tree guys what happened and he says he offered them $100!
Like now that the boom is down, the truck is moved, he thinks that's the
time to negotiate some more.

Assholes are assholes.