Old 18-04-2019, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cold composting

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 08/04/19 15:46, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

I've turned over a couple of cold composting jumbo bags, and while the
contents have rotted down to a fair degree they are rather wet and
claggy, and fit for a double dug underlayer at the best. Would mixing in
shredded paper do any good, or is it too late and I just have to be patient.

Be patient. Keep it a bit drier.

Compost heaps seem to exist in one of two states - too wet or too dry.

Yes. But the great advantage of cold composting is that all you have
to do is improve the situation and let it continue - there's no such
thing as too late. I would turn it over and open to to the air and
wait. My heaps take 18 months to 2 years to complete but, even then,
it continues to break down in the bags I use to store it (sieved) for
potting compost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.