Old 19-04-2019, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] e91.waggin@gmail.com is offline

Default What kind of pine tree do I have?

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 1:32:36 AM UTC-5, George wrote:
Before Christmas, Walmart was closing out some live pine trees, with
decorations included. I bought one and it's been growing well in the
house. It needs a bigger pot, the roots are coming out of the small pot
it came in. That pot was in a plastic cup to hold water. So, of course
the roots are now growing in the water.

The tree is just a little one foot tall one. Has short needles and is
not too wide. I've been keeping it near a window to get some sunlight.

I am not much for house plants, but I have been babying this little
tree. My plan is to plant it in my yard when Spring comes. However, I
live in a Northern (USA) climate where it gets real cold in winter. I am
not sure if this tree will survive in my climate (outdoors).

What gets me, is that nowhere on the package does it say what kind of
pine tree it is. It came from the Netherlands, a company called UNGA.

Is this just a permanent house plant, or can I plant it outdoors when
weather allows?

Does anyone know what kind of trees these are?

I am not planning to re-pot it since Spring is not too far away, (If I
can plant it outdoors).

It looks healthy, and I water it daily, but am I over watering it, if
the cup around the pot is filled halfway up the pot with water? If I
water it less, the roots below the pot will be out of the water and dry
up.

Like I said, I have little experience with house plants, so any advice
is appreciated.

I've seen (and bought) Norfolk Pines before. This sounds like what you have.