Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default may be a bit late but we'll give it a try today

songbird wrote:

planting some peas. it has been raining so much that
the garden where they're going has been way too muddy
for letting me get it done sooner. i need to lift the

as usual with any plans i have, they can change from
moment to moment so wish me luck on today's missions...

they've been sprouting and able to push up out of the
ground. i wasn't even sure the seeds were any good so
i'm glad to see them poking up. it took long enough
for them to germinate that i wondered... cool soil i
worried they rotted.

now i have to make sure i can keep the groundhogs out
of that garden for a bit longer (they usually don't get
through the fence, but once in a while one of them will
climb or find a way through).

we mowed yesterday for the first time, that will also
help deter the groundhogs if they don't have cover to
get through i can see them and plink at them. the one
that comes through once in a while is now smart enough
to go running if i open the patio door or if there is
any noise from this direction. i was hoping i could
remove it before it had babies...

i really need to get that fence up soon. deer tracks
all over and they're making a mess of things not counting
what they're eating. also the time sensitive thing is
that i have to have it up before the lilac tree in the NE
corner starts flowering.

i may just do that today. i have been trying to get
other things done and so putting it off.

no frost in the forecast. i wonder if i should risk
planting some early beans. the buckwheat is sprouting so
at least i know the ground temperature is getting close
to warm enough. i have some beans that i found out are
really supposed to be cooler weather types but sadly i
doubt they'll survive a hard frost and i don't have that
many seeds to risk - choices, choices...

songbird