Old 10-05-2019, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default tip: weeds

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am involved in a holy ware against the weeds again
this year.

The past two years, I though that if I just picked the
weed and dropped in in place, the it would stop them
from seeding.

Well, It is worse than ever this year. Apparently, when
you pull the weed, whatever it has left in it puts its
effort into seeding. Now I have four times as much cheat
grass! Poop!

This years I pull them and stick them into a bag for
disposal. So far, two big garbage bags full of cheat
Grass and others.

Death to weeds!

some plants are different, you gotta know the life
cycle to be effective. some plants you can pull as
they are flowering and they won't be able to ripen
the seed fast enough. others will persist and get
ripe enough seeds to continue. so it sounds like
cheat grass is one that you have to target earlier
to control it.

the best defense against weeds is a good offense,
plant radishes, turnips, buckwheat and any other
cover crops you can get going so that there are fewer
hospitable places for them to use.

ah, ok, i looked it up, it is an annual, but you
have to get it early (in the fall/winter before spring).

get a stirrup hoe and scrape the ground a few times
when you see it coming up. no plant will survive that.
you don't even have to (nor do you want to in many
cases) disturb the soil much. just skim it along the
surface to chop it off.

now that you have a seed bank established it will
take several years of consistent effort to get rid
of it. i know how that goes, i have something called
speedwell here which is annoying and a perennial.
very cute blue flowers, but the smell of it when
weeding it gets my nose running really bad so i now
remove it on sight. it's all over the place though.
it will be years before i have a chance of getting
rid of it. make a good dent each year but the lawn
mower and some lack of weeding means it can still
get spread around.

songbird