Old 11-05-2019, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default What to Plant

In article ,
says...
Before disposing of the magnolia completely, you could try cutting it
back really hard, to say a three-foot stump. If that kills it, you've
lost nothing as you were going to replace it anyway, but I reckon
it'll shoot from that stump and be OK for a few more years, when you
can repeat the drastic pruning.

--

Thank Chris, had thought of that, but the reason for taking it
down was that the gnarled twisted and merged lower trunks are

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales