Old 18-05-2019, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Grass Clippings As Mulch

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 10:12:05 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/18/2019 7:49 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
We finally got a break in the rain for a few days so I mowed the lawn. I raked up the clippings and filled the lawn tractor trailer, about 24 cubic feet; I had to tamp down the clippings a few times to fit it all in.

My wife uses the clippings as mulch on her vegetable and flower gardens.. She says that after a rain or two, the clippings all mat down and keep the weeds from taking over.

Paul

Â* Unless the grasses have gone to seed ... in which case you just
planted it in the richest soil around . Ya know , it always gets me that
people go to great lengths to make the soil rich so their garden does
well - then wonder why the weeds do well too ! I use straw as a mulch ,
it also mats down . But any seeds in the straw are annuals rather than
perennial grasses .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

My wife thought that was a great comment about people enriching the soil and wondering why the weeds grow there.

Paul