Old 18-05-2019, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Grass Clippings As Mulch

Pavel314 wrote:
We finally got a break in the rain for a few days so I mowed the lawn. I raked up the clippings and filled the lawn tractor trailer, about 24 cubic feet; I had to tamp down the clippings a few times to fit it all in.

My wife uses the clippings as mulch on her vegetable and flower gardens. She says that after a rain or two, the clippings all mat down and keep the weeds from taking over.

sure, almost any organic material can be used as a mulch
which eventually gets broken down and turned into humus.
the longer term issue is the number of weed seeds that
the mulch introduces into a garden space and how easy it
is to control the weeds if they manage to sprout and grow.

we have enough issues with weeds as it is, i sure don't
need to spread certain ones of those any further especially
when i spend time trying to eliminate or reducing them.
an uncleaned mower can spread things far and wide...

songbird