Old 19-05-2019, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_3_] Nyssa[_3_] is offline

Default Another berry good day

Terry Coombs wrote:

Looks like we may get tired of strawberries ... nah ,
that ain't
happening ! Picked another basket this morning to be sure
we had enough for a batch of jam , coulda made 2 batches
with these and what I picked on Thursday . So Mrs Snag
made one batch and cut a bowl full up for shortcake . That
makes 17 half pints of jam so far . Still have some fresh
berries in the fridge which I plan to freeze tomorrow . A
cup of berries and a quarter cup of sugar , seal in a
vacuum bag and refrigerate for a day to develop the syrup
before I freeze them . I also found time to plant a bunch
of other stuff that was ready , including about 40+ sweet
potato slips plus seedlings of yellow squash , cucumbers ,
zucchini , spaghetti squash , bell peppers , and a Roma
tomato seedling that I had damaged when planting the rest
. There's one more Roma in ICU , but I'm not sure if it
will make it . We also scored another 3 plants that are
bee-friendly . I'm trying to increase the number of plants
that bloom in midsummer since the spring nectar flows are
the only reliable source of nectar for the
bees/butterflies/hummingbirds. Scored a Spirea and a Rose
of Sharon for buy one and the second plant half price ,
plus a large bunch of purple bee balm rooted plants -
those were free . So far the taters are going gangbusters
, corn is up - apparently some either got washed away or
eaten by birds - beans are coming up now and all the
tomato plants have survived so far . Another monsoon-like
rain storm tonight means I'll need to check things over in
the morning to see if any plants got damaged . Oh , and I
forgot about the small pot of chives , they're ready for a
bigger home so they'll get repotted to a 6" container .
Now I need to learn where/when to use them ... does
sprouting mung beans in a jar count as "gardening" ?

Nice progress.

Yes, sprouting mung beans counts as "indoor gardening."

Nyssa, who just had a jar of her indoor gardening sprouts in
a stir fry yesterday with shrimp and broccoli yum!