Old 19-05-2019, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Paper mulch

On 3/20/2019 4:55 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* So I decided the easiest way to get mulch around the strawberries is
to use shredded paper - but I'm unsure about what paper is safe . Useta
be that glossy paper was not , but newsprint was . I *think* most modern
inks are soy based and safe , but I'm not sure . It'd sure be nice to
use all those spam mails for something productive instead of burning them .

if they weren't safe for plants it probably also isn't
safe to burn them. most at home burning doesn't burn
hot enough or clean enough IMO.

that said, i use regular newspaper for smothering things
under cardboard as an extra layer to just get rid of it
and the worms eventually take care of it.

if you aren't using it too much i think it is ok. i
don't use any shiny printed materials in case they have
plastic coated surfaces. in some cases in the past i've
missed a few pieces and noticed the worms seem to like
to suck the ink off the paper like it may have some salts
or strange things in it that worms find attractive.

Years ago I contacted my local paper and asked. They assured me that
their ink was safe. It couldn't hurt to ask.