Old 28-05-2019, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed compost

In article ,
Derek wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 15:57:46 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

I make my own potting compost,
I really don't want to sterilise my own,

Have you tried choir or just verminculte, are you trying anything
spwcial in your seed mix?

Using a Micowave, kills the good guys as well as the bad,

I use the same mix for seed as well as potting on,
I will stick to shop bought bag, and then bulk it up with sieved
homemade compost, mixed with vermiclite, handfull of sharp sand and
the same of chicken pelletts works for me

My compost has too many weed seeds for that - it's excellent for
everything otherwise, and I haven't bought manure or general
fertilisers in several decades. I really don't want to have to
start buying a lot of things I would not otherwise use. I have some
vermiculite I was given, and plenty of sharp sand, but they don't
contain any nutrients.

My problem is that I sow a lot of seeds that can take a long time
to germinate, I don't have (or want) a mist propagator, and judging
the amount of water requires predicting the weather. I find that
true John Innes seed compost works best. I have tried coir-based
composts, and find them pretty hopeless.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.