Old 07-06-2019, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Any trick to planting onion seeds?

On 5/19/19 2:35 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I can't get onion seeds to sprout for my life.

I plant them about 1/4 deep, about 3" away from
each other, and water them.Â*Â* Zip.Â* Nothing.

Is there any trick to onions seeds?

Many thanks,
-T

Spoke with the greenhouse guy about this when I picked up
my tomato plants. When I told him I could not grow an onion
from seed for my life, he told "and you never will." I asked
him why, considering the farmers around here grew onions for
seeds and are actually famous for it. He told me that it is
a problem with the soil around here and that the commercial
farmers are using special chemicals to get around the problem.

Fortunately the 100 bulbs for $3.00 from Wally World grow
just fine.