Old 07-06-2019, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Any trick to planting onion seeds?

T wrote:
Spoke with the greenhouse guy about this when I picked up
my tomato plants. When I told him I could not grow an onion
from seed for my life, he told "and you never will." I asked
him why, considering the farmers around here grew onions for
seeds and are actually famous for it. He told me that it is
a problem with the soil around here and that the commercial
farmers are using special chemicals to get around the problem.

which shouldn't make any difference for those you
are starting in a seed starting mix or potting soil...

Fortunately the 100 bulbs for $3.00 from Wally World grow
just fine.

let a few flower and drop seeds you'll get some
to sprout eventually. somewhere in that place you
call home is enough organic matter and soil that
they'll grow.

they don't even need prime conditions to start as
i've had them pop up in the pathways here which are
mulched with crushed and rinsed limestone - whatever
dirt is in there is what has blown in or fell in
from various other things.

songbird