Old 12-06-2019, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Making Greenhouses?

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 11:31:14 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

On 11/06/2019 09:36, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:01:52 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Later this year I will be helping son construct a new mist propagation
greenhouse, he is wanting to do it in wood with polycarbinate. I am
pretty sure the area he has ear marked and base built is non standard
size and shape hence his decision .
Many years ago I was able to buy glazing bars etc in stove coated
alluminium to recover my old victorian leantoo but I cant now find
anyone supplying lengths of alluminium glazing bar.

My feeling is if we can get hold of proper greenhouse mouldings it
will have a much longer useful life and require less upkeep than if we
build in wood.
Does any one know of a supplier?

Anything useful here?

https://www.glazingsystems.co.uk/sel...g-bar-systems-

click-here/

https://tinyurl.com/yxju9ply

or somewhere in this lot https://tinyurl.com/yxr25yqc although not all
are self-supporting

Yes I know about that sort of stuff and have used it to make my own
structures here but it is expensive. I may well have to go down that
route. What I was hoping was that someone would still be making the
standard alluminium glazing bars that we could glaze with glass, stove
coated looks good and lasts, that way I can make it to what ever size he
wants.

I know at this stage everyone is probably wondering why didn't he just
make the space the right size to fit a standard greenhouse, it would
have been cheaper and easier, probably down to bad parenting!

You should, of course, price in changing the base against the additional
cost of building a non-standard greenhouse.

Knocking down a block base and then erecting to the standard size should
not be prohibitively expensive.

Also consider extending/contracting the base and living with the redundant
blocks which are now on the inside/outside and which might be repurposed
for containing beds or storage.

At the moment you are being inconvenienced because the base is non-
standard. That can be fixed.

Cheers

Dave R

---