Old 15-06-2019, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Black Oyster Mushrooms

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:27:00 PM UTC-4, Nelly W wrote:
On 4/18/2019 4:04 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I inoculated five logs with black oyster mushroom spawn this morning. I did quite well with growing mushroom logs in the basement for a number of years, then nothing worked for several years. I gave up on it for a few years but am trying again. I'm currently waiting for the spawn plugs for shiitake and piopinni mushrooms to add to the mushroom farm.

Paul

Sorry I missed the old thread...
And sorrier even that I've no idea what-all in the heck a "black oyster" is.
Did you by any chance mean Craterellus cornucopioides?
Yeah I'm thinking, not. They're not so much wood-devourers.
Did you know that P. ostreatus ("oysters") are variable, whose cap color
is prone to cap color change due to ambient lighting. I mean cuz if
you're talking about Ostreatus, I can't think of anything easier than
shaving off a bit of log, dragging it home and then keeping it under the
constant mist of a humidifier. I never saw anything other than whitish
cap color, in that case.

According to the ad (link below), it's Pleurotus ostreatus. I've grown blue oyster mushrooms before so I thought I's try these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mushroom-...bf81cd9292780d

I was at a store-front restaurant in Chinatown years ago and had a dish that contained black mushrooms that I've never seen before or since. They were very good but I haven't been able to find them. They were the usual umbrella-shaped mushrooms, not oyster mushroom shaped.

Paul