Old 20-06-2019, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet G Janet G is offline

Default Callaloo

On Friday, 14 June 2019 18:55:07 UTC+1, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Amaranthus dubious, that is. Has anyone grown this? I am trying, but
it seems to be terribly slow growing. I am wondering if it is one of
the plants that likes heat, and doesn't grow significantly at lower
temperatures (e.g. below 20 Celsius).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I sowed some Polish red-leaved amaranth in late March. It did sit very quietly for some time. I planted it out under fleece in mid-May and it sat and sulked for another three weeks or so. But suddenly it looks very happy and has sprung up to about 9" tall. So it seems to be a slow starter which advances faster after about 10 weeks!
A bonus is that it doesn't seem to interest rabbits, birds or any other leaf-munchers.
Janet G